Saturday, April 30, 2011

Not on the bandwagon. Really.

.
My office room mate at work took Friday off so she could stay home and watch the wedding.  I'm sure I don't have to clarify which wedding I'm talking about.  


I did see all the pictures and when it was re-run later in the day I watched, as much as I watch anything with both eyes on the computer most of the time.  


But it was very bittersweet for me.


In 1981 I watched Diana and Charles get married.  I had just been married myself, the month before.  I was an insecure girl, not as young as Diana but I related to her.  She gave birth to William and I gave birth to my son.  She had Harry - and I had my daughter.  Diana's separation from Charles was announced at the end of 1992, my marriage fell apart early in '93.  My divorce was final in 1995, hers in 1996.


When Diana died, she had finally become a confident, happy woman.  For whatever reason, I was devastated when she died, I literally cried off and on for days.  It was so sad and so senseless.  My eyes were puffy for days - the coverage of the extent of the mourning, the flowers that went on forever .. and oh, her boys.  Watching them walk behind her casket was heartbreaking. 


The wedding yesterday was beautiful and a wonderful and happy occasion, it seems William and Catherine will have such a better chance at happiness than Diana ever had.  And as I watched how easy they were together, how tender William was toward her and how sure he was of himself all I could think was - oh how proud Diana would have been of her son.  Her Wills.


                                                       * * * * *


Oh - and does she think being noticed for any reason is better than not being noticed at all???  YIKES!  This made me vomit in my mouth a little.  Just sayin'.



.

6 Comments:

BetteJo said...

I guess Fergie never had much fashion sense to pass on but really? Don't they own mirrors?

Diane at Crafty Passions said...

I watched the whole thing it was lovely and I have much the same sentiment as you towards the whole thing,Diane would have been proud.It was bitter sweet....
But that hat from hell, wow.... I know she is young but come on.... and the make up... is that goth ? Scary looking girl.....yikes....its enough to sour milk....
Diane

Teena in Toronto said...

Gord got up early to watch the wedding. I knew it would be replayed over and over and over. I got up in time for the vows and the kisses.

That hat is too much! Ha!

BetteJo said...

Oh - and why would anyone want to wear something positively flesh colored!? Ugh!

The Beading Gem said...

Yeah, I got up early too to watch. I think one common reason why so many watched was because he was Diana's son, the one who looked most like her.

It's really unfortunate the two princesses have absolutely no sense of style. That hat is grotesque.

Cindy said...

I was right glued to the tv, watching as much as I could, remembering Diana as well and each time they spoke of her again I felt the watery eyes. However I must have got up and left the room because I'd remember seeing this hat, oh boy loo loo