Monday, April 11, 2011

S'cuse me while I stomp my feet a bit.

.

$4.17 a gallon.
This is where I frequently get gas, it is close to my house and for me it is all about convenience.  Usually. OMG!  Tonight I went about a mile and a half out of my way to save 12 cents a gallon.  Enough already!  Lift the moratorium on off shore drilling, start drilling in ANWAR and the other places in the United States where oil has been found.  YES we need to develop other types of energy.  But right now?  Right now our infrastructure is not set up to accommodate other types of energy.  Eventually it will be and of course we should continue to move in that direction.  But we can't throw the baby out with the bath water right now.


We are being held hostage by people in the Middle East that hate us when we have plenty of resources right here at home.  Yes I know people in Europe are paying twice what we are.  SO?  Let me tell you why that's different.  The U.S. is much larger geographically, than Europe.  Things are more spread out here unless you are in the heart of a large city.  Most of us aren't.  The rest of us are in suburbs surrounding large cities, and in small towns and rural communities around the country.  And we commute to where we need to go.  Should we be more conservative with our energy usage?  Maybe.  But we have the resources right here in our country to last the next hundred years - at least - and that should give us plenty of time to develop other types of energy and not be dependent on anyone else.
Almost $60.00 and I don't have a big tank!


Canada has oil.  Canada can sell oil to the U.S.  Canada likes us, for the most part.  So why was the president over there in Brazil pledging money to them to help them develop their oil resources?  Why was he telling them he would love the U.S. to be their biggest customer?  WTF?  


I am sorry that Europeans pay what they do for gas.  But if we don't have do, and we don't, why should we? WHY ARE WE?


The end.


Go back to your regularly scheduled blog reading.  Thank you for your time and attention.

.

7 Comments:

Moms Musings said...

I couldn't have said it better. You're so right.

Anonymous said...

Amen! There is nothing more to say.

Diane at Crafty Passions said...

Come to Canada ... then you can scream !!!!!!!!!
I paid 147.08 per liter !!!!!!!!!!!!
Its ridiculous ! Its feels like I am being robbed !!
I heat my house with oil..... last bill (per month) was $768.00 how do you like them apples !
Diane

BetteJo said...

Emailed you for clarification Diane. That figure for a liter of gas cannot possibly be right. I mean - if that's right - how can anyone drive?

Jen said...

You know, I usually err on the side of save the earth over save the technology. But in this case, I'm one of those people in a rural community that can't walk anywhere. My grocery store is 45 minutes away in the car. Walking there? Would probably take a lifetime.

I need gas. I need to be able to feed my kids. I need to still be able to feed my kids AFTER I buy gas. I don't know what the solution is but I hope there is one quickly.

Cindy said...

Don't don't don't get me started. I filled up the car at $1.21 a litre, after 3.8 litres in a US gallon, hang on while I turn on my lifeline that is $4.60 a gallon. We are regulated on PEI here but really, come on. The 15th is coming up and so might an increase be. Ask an economist why We import oil to export it only to buy it back in another form.

Teena in Toronto said...

Gas went up to $1.37 a litre here in Toronto this week. Instead of filling up as we usually do, I just put $20 worth in.