Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Pick on somebody your own size!

I confess I am the worst at listening to my messages. Gone are the days when I would look at the answering machine when I came home, hoping for the blinking light. Gone are the days when I saw that red light on my work phone and immediately picked it up to call my voice mail. I listen, but I must admit it is rarely in a timely manner.

So listening to yesterdays messages at work - today, I found out my doctor's office called, asking me to call them back. Ah, the results of the mammogram. So I call. It is doubtful that anything is wrong but the hospital says they need some better views of the right side. Probably just need a clearer picture, we will drop the order in the mail and you will have it by tomorrow most likely.

Coming home I see the red light blinking on the answering machine and this time it is the hospital, a woman from THE BREAST CENTER (all in caps of course) who really sounds like she has horrible news, asking me to call back during regular business hours. Not the reassuring voice of someone I would pick to call a patient so as not to scare the bejaysus out of them. I'm just sayin'.

One of the girls I work with had this same exact thing happen 2 weeks ago, and all was fine. I'm actually not worried yet, I figure I probably zigged when I should have zagged, and I blurred one of the x-rays. Leave it to me to screw up a mammogram. It was a screening not a test right? But I managed to get it wrong anyway. My bad.

I tell the boyfriend who is more compassionate than the average bear, not sure how he will react.

"The right one?"

I nod.

"That's the smaller one," he says with a slight smile, but looking a bit indignant.

"Yup" I say.

"Why are they picking on the little one?"

I smile. He always knows the right thing to say to make me do that.

4 Comments:

Lavender said...

'picking on the little one'...oh my, he is a dear one isnt he?
Youre most likely right, its probally nothing and I hope you get that as official news very soon. Hang in there till then!

SUEB0B said...

Stuff like this is always unnerving. My best hopes for you.

Mahala said...

Awwww.. he sounds like a keeper :)

palette48 said...

I hope that everything will be OK and
I am sending good thoughts your way!
It's good that you have someone there to support you while you are waiting.