Friday, April 30, 2010

Sh-h-h-h .. sleeping like the proverbial baby.

Lo-o-o-n-n-g-g day. There has been much lifting, guiding, holding onto and helping into a sitting position, wherever that may be. But now she is sleeping. I will be soon too!

She is more frail than when I saw her last. 2 months at the nursing home where they approved her walker and then took it away when she fell while using it, has not strengthened her body at all. They lost her glasses, and when she felt like it, they let her lay in her bed all day. Better than have her up and about and hurting herself I guess, but bad for what was left of her muscle tone.


We went through all her meds and
sorted them out, daytime, nighttime, amounts, etc. Sorted them by days of the week in those old lady pill organizers that *cough* belonged to *cough* me. Ahem. Did a nebulizer when she got here, and another before bed. Filled a 3rd and set it next to her bed so if she wakes in distress she can reach out and pull the thing into her mouth and push the button. Voila. An additional dose sits nearby for morning, along with a granola bar and a bottle of water.

So I can tell you now what she said when she got into the car with my BF and I at the airport. "Wow" to JD, "you're getting a big belly!" MORTIFIED! "Oh no, I had this belly when you saw me last." She reached over and patted his belly while saying "No, it's gotten MUCH bigger than before!" They didn't see me crawling under the seat ..
A little while later she randomly said "I need to find a good funeral home around here."

Oy. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

*

5 Comments:

Diane at Crafty Passions said...

Bumpy.....that's an understatement !
I did the funeral home thing with MIL last year...let her pick and choose etc... that's all she wanted was to look at everything...didn't put down $$ ,not easy when they start thinking like that.
Diane

Stimey said...

You are a very good daughter. You are doing a wonderful thing.

Susannah said...

BetteJo, your sense of humor is what's gonna get you through this. Keep writing here. One day, when you have the benefit of retrospective view, publish this!

You're great, my friend. Hang in there!!

Teena in Toronto said...

I hope it works out for you.

I had someone ask me a couple years ago when I was due ... I've never been pregnant. I don't know who felt worse, me or her.

The Beading Gem said...

As you said, they do say the darnest things! Must be a privilege of being old enough to get away with it!