Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Questioning.


I can't believe how upset I am about this.

610777gx


Yesterday I watched as much as I could of the inauguration festivities. I didn't see everything and certainly couldn't hear everything because I was watching a live feed on my computer. Mostly I was working, so I missed a lot.


One thing I missed apparently, was the reaction when George Bush was announced at the inauguration. The man was still our president, our out-going president, but our president none-the-less.


Today I saw a video. With sound. I could not believe that at an important national event like the inauguration ceremonies of our new president, that people in the crowd would BOO the current president, showing him complete disrespect.


This was not a losing sports team. It wasn't someone who could not sing on American Idol. This man was our president for 8 years. Whether people think he did not do a good job, or people think his policies were wrong, is not the point. Everyone has their beliefs in that regard and I am not going to go into that now. But to boo a sitting president at the inauguration of the new one?


I was ashamed.

610hgddgx

Our former president was nothing but lovely and gracious to President and Mrs. Obama. He wished them well and I believe he meant it. I also believe that Barack Obama would not have wanted that kind of behavior to mar such an important day.


You've heard the term, ugly American? Yeah. Here was an occasion that was supposed to be such an important step for our country, people gushing left and right about how momentous the whole thing was. People around the world were watching yesterday. We were moving forward, and making history. And some of those "ugly Americans" proved that we are exactly what other countries already believe we are.

610oiyyx


I know it wasn't the majority booing. But it wasn't just a scattered few either. And any citizen of our country who was in that crowd yesterday was a representative for our nation in front of the world.


All of this talk of hope and change - none of that can take place if people are incapable of even basic human decency for goodness sake. Makes me wonder if some of us are actually ready for change after all.


**Edited to add - I said Thank You.



11 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you watching this from my home here in Canada I too thought shame on them.
He made mistakes, he is human.
But he did devote 8 years of his life to his country.
To boo him on this day was showing your American colors, and they were not pretty from what I could see wayyyy up here!
Diane

BetteJo said...

Exactly, Diane. Unfortunately.

Pasadena Closet Conservative said...

This morning I watched the re-run on C-SPAN of the Bushes when they arrived back in Midland, Texas.

His speech was so moving, and the people were so welcoming, that I hope that made up for the bad behavior of all the ignorent Libs in the audience in D.C.

It was a great, great moment.

Heather "Hev" said...

They are idiots everywhere!!

Lost A Sock said...

Thank you for bringing this up. I, too, have been thinking a lot about it. Though I didn't agree with some of his decisions, I felt like it was completely unneccesary for the entire country, at times, to make fun of him for the sake of nastiness. What does that accomplish? It really does make them, and the country, look bad. It's one thing to not support the decisions of a leader, but something entirely different to show complete disrespect. He really is a good person, even if he didn't do the best job governing.

Filomena said...

Booing is what free speech is all about. Even if he was just the mouth piece for the last 8 years, I just don't have sympathy for the guy. You don't want to be booed? Don't do stupid stuff OVER and OVER and OVER again and then chuckle about it. I wish him no harm but I certainly wouldn't applaud him!

Ring by Ring Designs said...

I'm not sure that booing is what free speech is all about. Being able to say you do not argee with him, yes. Showing disrespect, no.
I'm glad the media didn't make a big issue about it.

BetteJo said...

I think there is a time and a place for everything and I do not think the inauguration of a new president was the time or place to boo the out-going one.

But yes, free speech means no one can put you in jail for booing, still - it does not put you on a list of well mannered and kind human beings.

Lavender said...

That was pretty pi** poor behaviour, and Id have shared your shame. Stuff like that does nothing to dispel that 'ugly american' stereotype you mentioned, and which is why I spend alot of time pretending Im Candian...
Good Luck Obama.

Moms Musings said...

I'm not surprised by the conduct. Look what happened when he took office, someone removed the "w"'s from the keyboards. He deserved better, if you don't like the man, at least respect the office.

Anonymous said...

Amen!