Tuesday, November 4, 2008

John McCain's Concession Speech


John McCain just gave an incredibly gracious concession speech. He spent the first few minutes
reflecting on America's history of racism--and the moral significance of electing an African-American. He saluted Obama for inspiring so many young people and first-time voters, then offered his sympathies for the death of Obama's grandmother.

The address contained not a whiff of ideology or partisanship. Instead, McCain called upon all Americans, even those who had voted for him, to offer the new administration its support and seek common ground.


He concluded by saying "I wish godspeed to the man who was my former opponent and will be my president." Then he asked his countrymen "to not despair of our difficulties but to always believe in the promise of America."

--Jonathan Cohn Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 11:26 PM

From:
The New Republic

I am deeply saddened, but I am also very proud.

It's time to move forward.

** For the entire text of the speech go to McCainBlogette which is Meghan McCain's blog. If you did not hear it - it's worth the read.


8 Comments:

Stimey said...

He did give a great speech. Very, very gracious.

Unknown said...

It was a beautiful night for both of them. Makes me proud of both of them....

Anonymous said...

A very historic night,I watched it all til the wee hours.
Diane

Pawhealer said...

I read a while back about you stopping reading some bloggers who had strong opinions.

I was just shocked when I just read a blog that I read on a regular basis.

I don't really agree with John McCain, but never have I called him any names....I'm proud of what he did last night...

I don't understand the hate that people have...a real turn off.

You were so right when you wrote that blog awhile back about people and their political opinions.

I think its important that we all give each other space about this very sensitive time, and just give things a chance.

What do we have to lose at this point...right?

BetteJo said...

I stopped reading that particular blog because of one thing she said. That was - "I am so ashamed to be an American."

No matter which party you belong to, or if you are liberal or conservative - this is a great country, a wonderful place to live.

I read several blogs where people have strong beliefs that are opposite of mine. It was the rejection of our country as a whole that offended me.

Anonymous said...

Hang in ther BettyJo, we will be alright.

Anonymous said...

Yes, John Mccain is a Class Guy

French Fancy... said...

hello, I've come to you via the black box widget and it seems we made the same choices. Come and say hello.