Saturday, February 19, 2011

Should have been called my AWAKE study!

.
So yeah, the sleep study.  The room was like a nice hotel room, everything was done in muted tones, the tech assigned to me was incredibly professional and the whole thing was done in such a way to be almost soothing, geared toward making everything as smooth as possible to allow you to relax and and be able to progress toward a restful night's sleep.


FAT CHANCE!!!


Not me, but you get the idea
I knew there would be wires.  Let me see if I can remember.  There were two wires attached to each leg.  A wire on each side of my neck, one under my chin, one on my chin, one on either side of my face at the outside of my eyes.  There was one wire behind each ear, and five attached to my scalp.  Then of course there was the cannula that went into my nose with the tubing tucked around each ear.  Oh wait - there was a belt wrapped tightly around my chest with wires coming from that, and one around my waist with wires there too.  


All the wires were brought around behind me and fastened together and plugged into a little box which went into a cable that went into some place that allowed my tech, Oscar, to tell whether or not my eyes were open or closed or whether my right foot twitched or my left.  He could tell if I was dreaming or if I was only on the edge of sleep.  


In total there were over twenty wires, some of them stuck to my scalp with gumball sized wads of gooey gluey stuff.  Wait!  There was also one wire on the front of my chest and one on my back.  Make that over 22 wires.  So, I didn't sleep much.  I never felt I was able get comfortable or turn as much as I usually do.  I must have slept some but I don't think it was much.  I showered and left, came home and slept for 6 hours.  


And I'm still picking adhesive off my skin and goobers of glue out of my hair.  Still .. I'm curious to see what the results will show. 


**Edited to add - the photo of the tile - that was the bathroom floor.  I liked it, and thought I mentioned it in my post.  Apparently not, so it appeared to be a random photo of tile stuck into the post for no reason.  And I did that after I had gotten sleep!  Sigh ...


.

5 Comments:

Diane at Crafty Passions said...

MY son and hubby went for those and came away from it with machines. What a difference it made in their lives.
Breathing air at night... its a good thing !
Diane

The Beading Gem said...

It's a minor miracle people don't strangle themselves while sleeping!

Moms Musings said...

How could you possibly sleep with all those wires. I don't think I could.

Teena in Toronto said...

I would have been too freaked out to sleep.

Shai Williams said...

There is NO WAY I could have gotten any sleep at all. The wires that are around when I sleep are the ones to my Ipod